Thursday, January 26, 2012

Here Gerard sits. With his hard drive removed.  Poor Gerard died in a traumatic fall.  He landed on his hard drive, which immediately broke.  He broke his mother board too.  So now he is very dead.

Poor Gerard. 

I lost all my picture from 2011, and all my recipes when Gerard fell. There were more files that I lost, too, but that is what I am the most upset about.  Especially that recipe for Chocolate Chip Cookies that I spent months and countless batches of cookies perfecting.  And all my pictures of Tabitha.

Thankfully, I was able to re-download the 500+ songs I had from iTunes without paying any more money.  

Now I have Gerard II.  He has an aluminum frame, so if I drop him, he will not break the way Gerard I did.  Which is good, because about a month after I got Gerard II, I dropped him.  Oops.  And then I went to go visit Rachel for 3 weeks, and Emily liked to play drums on Gerard II when I was using him. So it is good that Gerard II has such a sturdy frame.

I took Gerard to see my friend, Sonny, the computer genius, to see if he could fix Gerard after I dropped him.  While he was looking at Gerard, I started having a panic attack and sobbing--right around the time he said that the hard drive was completely shot, and he wouldn't be able to retrieve any of my information.  Sonny pointed out that I was overreacting.  That there are lots of people in this world who have serious problems, and that in the grand scheme of things losing a few files is not a big deal.  

His comment made me think, about how I take so much for granted, and the things that really matter.  And I am trying not to care so much about my small problems.  

But I did start pounding my head against the wall the other day when I thought I lost my knitting needles, so I guess I still need to work on this a lot.

Losing all my recipes also made me think about what I spend my time on--all the effort I had put into collecting and perfecting my recipes was gone.  What if I had spent that time on something that mattered more, something that wouldn't be lost if my computer died. 

1 comment:

kelsey said...

I disagree with Sonny, it is a big deal. Things that you have put a lot of time into (and photos of Tabitha!) are a part of your interests and who you are. Yes, there are people with other bigger problems, but that doesn't make losing your files unimportant. If I lost my files I would surely lose my mind.