I have been allergic to penicillin ever since I was a little girl. I remember going to the doctor with my mother who was very worried, and being told that I was allergic to penicillin, and that if I ever had penicillin again I could get very sick.
A few years ago, I was watching food tv, and I learned that some cheeses are made with the penicillin fungus. 'Oh, no,' I thought, 'I must never eat those cheeses.'
Today, I looked up the penicillin cheeses online, to find out which cheeses I can't eat. (Ok, so I'm not very prompt about these things.) 2 of my favorite cheeses are made with a penicillin fungus-- brie and gorgonzola. I eat them all the time, and I have never gotten sick yet. I think it is going to be ok, because they are made with a diffent species of penicillin fungus than the one they use to make penicillin the antibiotic.
Yum. I want to go buy some cheese.